April 8, 2009

Worst Guarantee Ever

I don't watch Women's College Basketball. But after Connecticut spanked Oklahoma last night to win the National Championship I had to comment on it for this reason:

A player on the Oklahoma Sooners, Courtney Paris, had made a prediction that Oklahoma would win or she would repay her entire scholarship. You can read the details here.

They gave her an opportunity before the game was played to take back her promise but she chose to stick by it. I guess that's admirable in a sense. But she was playing a Husky team that hadn't lost a game all year. Now, she owes about $64,000.

The article above goes on to state that if Paris should get drafted into the WNBA, the rookie salary is under $45,000. So, she will basically have to turn over her whole check. Hopefully, the University of Oklahoma will refuse to accept her money and get her off the hook. But, she should have never put herself in such a predicament.

Making bold predictions before title games has become common in sports but I've never known someone to put their money where there mouth is. And I doubt I'll see anyone do it again anytime soon.

No comments: