May 15, 2009

I Like Francisco Cervelli

When Posada went down and then Jose Molina followed him to the DL, I said "Uh-Oh". We have no more catchers!!! The Yanks called up a kid from AA that wasn't even hitting .200.

But Francisco Cervelli has impressed me. It's not just that he's shown himself to be more than an automatic out. He seems to call a very good game and throws above average. CC has had his best 2 starts of the year with him behind the plate.

What's more striking to me though is he has a take charge attitude. He seems to be a real leader behind the plate like you need from your catcher. Watching him the last week, it's hard for me to believe this guy just came up from the minors. He plays like a 10 year veteran.

Once Posada and Molina come back from injuries, Cervelli will most surely be headed back to the minors, but it's good to know we have a guy like him if we need him again. And going forward, it looks like we already have our back-up catcher for 2010.

No comments: